REGISTER FOR RIDE FOR PEACE 2018

It’s on again in March!

WHAT IS THE PROJECT?

In partnership with the World Peace Association, the Rotary Club of Canberra Burley Griffin has taken on an ambitious project of building a World Peace Bell Pavilion within the Canberra Nara Peace Park on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin. The Canberra World Peace Bell will provide a destination in Nara Park to remind us that we want a peaceful World.

We already have our World Peace Bell. It is carefully archived in the Australian War Memorial until we construct a pavilion to house it.

We are asking for your help to build the proposed pavilion that was designed by Lauren and Fred Kasparek. Lauren is an architectural student at the University of Canberra while her father Fred Kasparek has been a practicing architect for over 28 years in Canberra.

Still need Major Financial Partners to support the project. To help please go to https://canberrapeacebell.org/partners

WHAT IS A PEACE BELL?

It is a physical statement to lives lost in acts of violence.
It tolls to remind us to unite in a call for peace.
It provides a place of peace and solitude for remembrance.
The first Peace Bell was donated by the Japanese people. Cast on 24 November 1952, it was an official gift of the Japanese people to the United Nations on 8th June 1954.

Ringing the bell in Christchurch New Zealand.

CONSTRUCTION PHASE

We are constructing the pavilion to house the Canberra Rotary Peace Bell.

If you would like to donate to Rotary Peace Projects click the orange button below. Donations support the Rotary Foundation, Rotary Peace Scholarships, Shelterbox Australia, Indigenous projects and issues dealing with Domestic Violence.

Fred Kasparek and Simon Froud and team happy to see the bell arrive on Monday 22 January 2018

WORLD PEACE BELL ASSOCIATION

The World Peace Bell Association is a Japanese organization which attempts to raise awareness of the World Peace movement by casting and installing Japanese temple bells in locations around the world.
The Association had its beginnings with a donation of the first Peace Bell and housing to the United Nations by Chiyoji Nakagawa in 1954, following the Second World War, as a token of Peace. The United Nations Bell is rung twice a year to mark World Peace day on the 21st September each year and on the opening day of the United Nations general assembly. There are now over twenty Peace Bells located around the World. Peace bells are respected and stand as a symbol where people unite in a prayer for peace and to remind all of the cruelty of war and the preciousness of peace for the generations to come. The bells are mostly made from melted down coins donated through the United Nations.
Rotary International Logo orange on grey background

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL

Rotary is made up of three parts: at the heart of Rotary are our clubs that are supported by Rotary International and The Rotary Foundation.
Rotary clubs bring together dedicated individuals to exchange ideas, build relationships, and take action.
Rotary International supports Rotary clubs worldwide by coordinating global programs, campaigns, and initiatives.
The Rotary Foundation uses generous donations to fund projects by Rotarians and our partners in communities around the world. As a nonprofit, all of the Foundation’s funding comes from voluntary contributions made by Rotarians and friends who share our vision of a better world.
Together, Rotary clubs, Rotary International, and The Rotary Foundation work to make lasting improvements in our communities and around the world.
“WHATEVER ROTARY MAY MEAN TO US, TO THE WORLD IT WILL BE KNOWN BY THE RESULTS IT ACHIEVES.”
Harris
PAUL P. HARRIS
Our 1.2 million-member organization started with the vision of one man—Paul P. Harris. The Chicago attorney formed one of the world’s first service organizations, the Rotary Club of Chicago, on 23 February 1905 as a place where professionals with diverse backgrounds could exchange ideas and form meaningful, lifelong friendships. Rotary’s name came from the group’s early practice of rotating meetings among the offices of each member.

ROTARY CLUB OF CANBERRA BURLEY GRIFFIN

The Rotary Club of Canberra Burley Griffin was chartered on 10 March 1987 when twenty five businessmen who had common interests in the ideals of Rotary, joined to form a luncheon club. Without any history or cultural restraints, the Club ambitiously developed programmes which were new to Rotary and was the first Club in Canberra to introduce women members. Since then we have been honoured to include Edna Barolits, our first indigenous member and who served as secretary in the early nineties.
Some of the projects which were enthusiastically committed to by the Rotary Club of Canberra Burley Griffin in those early years, included PolioPlus, Life Education; the development of twinning agreements, particularly with the Rotary Club of Nara, Japan, and extensive international programmes, particularly in times of natural disaster. We were the first Canberra club to assist villagers in Sri Lanka after the tsunami with new fishing boats.
Our Club has grown to a membership of approximately thirty five members who continue to search for new opportunities in pursuit of Rotary’s ideals of world peace.
We welcome newcomers and visitors to Canberra, and hope that you will join us for lunch to share our enjoyment of Rotary.

PLEASE DONATE

 

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This